Saturday, April 19, 2008

New Kitties


We have four new babies. Born on my birthday. At least I won't forget how old they are when it's time to wean them. That is, if I still remember in 6 or 7 weeks.

They were two days old in this picture. Cute, cute, cute. Now, I know you'll all be beating a path to our barn to pick out yours, but just take it easy!!!! They have a little growing to do yet. Just wait till they get their little blue eyes open.

Today our horses are getting shoes so Bill can go on a "men's" trail ride with a bunch of other guys next month. They're going to eat and ride - and ride and eat - and eat and eat!!! I know how these male things go! We told our pastor that he can ride my horse if he's able to go on the ride. First thing he said was, "Is that the horse that threw you off??" What a question!! Blaze DID NOT THROW me off!! He tried to get away from a stick that was wired to the ground that was poking a hole in his chest. I would imagine anyone in his right mind would do the same.

But, nonetheless, I think the ride will be fun and it sounds like a pretty good group of men from our church will be going. Probably will do a lot of standing during the Sunday song service after they've all been in the saddle all day Saturday!! If they happened to get into some poison ivy or poison oak, they may be doing a little more moving around then just standing up. Wouldn't surprise me if Ed just didn't have all the men come up and lead the singing that morning. That way they'd have a good excuse to stay standing and it wouldn't be noticeable.

My accordion student is due in about 45 minutes. He comes up once a month from DeQueen AR which is about an hour's drive for him. Then he stays for 2 hours or so. We really have a good time. He's originally from Michigan so really likes the polka music, which, of course, is right up my alley. We're also playing some Irish music, and a little Cajun as well.

I just wrote up the music to the "I'm Coming Home Polka" the the Julida Boys used to play when I was still with the band. I received a CD from Allen Bales that was recorded at a couple of our local dance halls back in the late 60's I figured it to be either '67 or '68 mainly because our concertina player was not on the tape, and when Bill Mertz and I came back from Seattle Washington in 1970, Mike was already playing with the band.

Anyway, it brought back a lot of memories and everyone sounded so-o-o-o young!!! Even yours truly. I was really amazed at that until I realized that the music was playing back about 1/2 to 1 full step higher than it had actually been played. The recording was done on reel to reel, and tape players were noted for all playing back a little bit faster or slower than they'd been recorded. So, I guess that's why we all sounded so young. It was played back faster, so we were approaching "the chipmunks" in sound quality. Not really that bad, but definitely higher.

I got my accordion out when I got the CD and thought I'd play along - just like having the band here. WRONG!!! I had to play in some horrendous key that was located somewhere in the cracks between two of the keys. So, guess that plan is shot.

Tomorrow we're heading to Dallas to see Andre Rieu from Holland and the Johann Strauss Orchestra perform at the Nokia Theatre in Grand Prairie. I can't wait. Bill can, but he's manfully bucking up and going with me. I really think he's going to enjoy it as much as I will after he gets there, but all he can think about right now is: driving back to Elicia's house in Garland on the "death drive" interstate from Grand Prairie - at night - after dark. But, it will be Sunday night and surely all the crazy people will be home and not out on the road. So we will see how that all goes.

If you are not familiar with Andre Rieu, every once in a while they show a concert on PBS. He is so good!! They were in Milwaukee this past Wednesday. I haven't convinced favorite sister that they need to go see him yet, but perhaps one of these days they'll go. I went with a friend to Baton Rouge, LA a couple years ago to see him, and knew I'd definitely go again if he came back to this country and I could.

So, let me know how many kittens to save for you - personal pickup only. That way we get a visit out of it.

I'm fixing to post another bit of Mom's story this afternoon, too, so happy reading to you all.

JB

No comments: