Friday, April 27, 2012

Little Red House Barn

It only took two weeks - I can't believe a couple of old folks can get something finished that fast, and, I use the term "couple" quite loosely.  I really only did enough to be able to claim that I actually helped.  I did a few helpful things like holding boards when Bill was putting up the rafters, holding boards when he was putting on the barge rafters, holding boards when he was nailing on the fence rails.  You get the picture - I'm REALLY GOOD at holding boards. 

The other stuff, I'm more of an "oral" builder - I can talk a good story but actually doing it - not so much!!  BUT, my husband seems to think that my help as "invaluable" so that works for me.  Oh, yes, and I did put the blue tape around the little windows in the feed room door so that he wouldn't slop paint all over the glass.

So, now my Pretty Girl has a place to eat and get in out of the weather.  Unfortunately, her very FIRST introduction to her new stall was - go in, find food, get bit by fire ants, come out, stomp a bit, go back in, try another mouthful, get bit some more.  Man!!! This is the pits!!!!  I mean, the bits!!!!!  Unbeknowingly, my frugal husband decided to use some mulch material he'd had piled in the back yard for bedding.  I had become the new home of a colony of fire ants, and they DID NOT appreciate a horse tromping around on their new digs.  But after a liberal dousing of bug spray - the bedding and the horse, the fire ants are no more.  Just to be on the safe side, said husband cleared out all of the mulch and substituted pine shavings that come in a nice sterile package down at C.J.'s.  Pretty Girl seems to have forgotten all about the ants because the stall is working out just fine and it almost looks like she may have slept in it last night.

So, the little red barn is all finished.  The feed room lacks a few shelves, and moving the stuff in there, but for all practical purposes, we will consider this project "a wrap"!

No comments: