Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mom's Story - Installment #8

Happy Memorial Day!!!

I can't believe that it's the weekend already. Where DID this week go? Last night our bluegrass gospel group played over at Mt. Ida, AR. for their Good Ol' Days festival. It was cloudy but VERY hot and muggy on stage. By the time we were finished, we were all dripping wet. Our poor bass player, who was somewhat under the weather anyway, got so hot that he thought he was going to throw up, so all at once we looked back and he was GONE. So, we did the final 4 numbers without him. Thankfully, he was OK by the time we got finished.


It's time for another episode in the Mom's Story saga, so here is installment #8.


Hope you have a good weekend.

JB


My sister, Jane Adler, got married in Spencer on Sept. 26, 1940 all the relatives were invited. She & I drove Aaron Schickert’s little rumble seat coupe to Spencer Wis. two days before the wedding. Ma planned dinner on the farm in Spencer and Les came up so I went home with him. Jane and Aaron lived in Milwaukee and we went to visit them on Sundays. I still didn’t have children.


On April 12, 1945, President Roosevelt died. I was home house cleaning and heard it on the radio. We didn’t have a TV in those days so the radio was good to let us know everything that was going on.


Joan Leslie was born on April 14, 1945 and what a doll. I was thrilled to have a baby and was so happy to be a mom and Les a daddy. She was born at St. Agnes Hospital in Fond du Lac, mainly because I’d lost two babies before her, and Dr. Hoffman didn’t want to take a chance on losing her as well.


She got pneumonia in December and was so sick. Doc Hoffmann told me how to take care of her and she got better. When she was two she fell head first into the lime pile in the chicken house and almost choked to death. Was I scared.


Then, on July 8, 1948, I had a baby girl, Donna May, at home. We almost named her Julida after the Julida Polka as I was sure I’d have a boy so we didn’t pick out any “girl” names. Doc Hoffmann said I didn’t need to go to the hospital. The cost was $35.00 at home. He was our family doctor and he came to the house whenever one of the girls got sick, which was terrible to me.



Well, that 's it for this time. We wonderful children have arrived so I guess we're up to about 1948 now.


Till next time,
JB

No comments: